"Steel" platters are probably stainless steel. Stainless steel has a very low iron content and is generally regarded as non-magnetic. Furthermore, ebm, copper is non-magnetic too, unless you wrap wire around it and run a current through the wire. Everything said about static electricity being the culprit is correct, IMO. There are several available cures or treatments for static electricity in the context of playing LPs. (Brushes, anti-static guns, sprays, choice of platter mat, etc). I don't know what Furutech "Damag" is, but if it has anything to do with de-magnetization, then you don't need it to solve this problem. "Destat" sounds more like what you need. Any on-line vendor like Needle Doctor, Audio Advisor, etc, will have one or more products to reduce or eliminate static electric charge that can build up on platters or LPs.