Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
I had a VPI Classic 1.  Tried a variety of cartridges with it, including the ZU 103.  I liked the ZU the least.  Never could get satisfactory performance from the Classic 1.  I think that its problem is poor motor isolation.  

I suspect that is why it was deleted from their product line.

chadsort, 

Whatever happened with your turntable?  Did you get it sorted out, move up the chain, give up on it, or what?
The cartridge is no where near SOTA on any level. You need a much better cart on that table to get anywhere close to your excellent CD player. Like a thousand dollars or higher. Listen to the 2k sound smith made for that arm and table and then get back to me.
Hondo, my friend has that table and it sounds amazing, with both clear audio and soundsmith carts.