Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
Chakster:

Not sure I get why you uploaded that "slide" image.  To me it just looks like a a digital scan of a blurry purple haze.  And since it is now a digital image, what I supposed to compare it with.  
akaim says:

...the differences really jump out at you with headphones. the ambience and depth with analog is superior.   it's not something you'll always hear playing it through speakers in a room. it's a subtle difference...

I do not agree that analog has better sound quality than digital.  Different for sure, but not "superior."  And, I was raised on radio, records and tape and my first car out of college was a new 69 Firebird (400ci/335hp).

I note in your quote above that you reference the difference (between analog and digital) as "subtle" but also describe the difference as "superior...and will jump out at you..."  Seem like a contradiction there; though not as bad as some who will describe the subtle difference as "jaw-dropping."
Analog is only better if you like the sound of real unamplified music.  If you have ever played in bands and orchestras you have been at least exposed to live music.

I can not imagine the OP background in music even if the arm is to light etc.  Unless his step up and or phono amp are really really bad!!!

I want a grand piano to sound like it made from wood and the strings are hit with a felt hammer not a metal one.  For the people who can not understand the last sentence why bother with vinyl.  Unless you totally dig the art work or rituals.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

This year’s "Records To Die For" in the February 2019 issue of Stereophile, which according to the magazine is comprised of recordings that are, "both musically and sonically impeccable," includes 17 Lps and 30 Cds (or other digital formats, but mostly Cd). I counted 47 instead of the 46 the magazine states because one was recommended in both the Lp and Cd formats.

This is not new this year, Cds usually outnumber Lps. So that leads me to believe that the absolute sonic superiority of Lps that some proclaim is based more on ego than hearing.

@dynaquest4  

Chakster:

Not sure I get why you uploaded that "slide" image. To me it just looks like a a digital scan of a blurry purple haze. And since it is now a digital image, what I supposed to compare it with.    

It's an example. 
Actually i have uploaded original cross-processed slide film scan, no phonoshop, no filters, nothing, this is just a film as it is. Digital only help me to share it. I can make print right from the analog scan in superb resolution. 

I do the same with the music, if i want to share it (or if i want to discover new music) i will use digital, but to play music in my system i will use original vinyl. 

I can understand a lack of enthusiasm about analog formats in certain age, so i do not blame you or anyone else on here, but younger generation think different. I'm not so young, but i'm happy with analog. I'm happy when i see young people buying and playing record, taking pictures on film cameras and buying books in analog format. This is a proof of how cool those analog formats really is, otherwise they would not survive in the digital era. 

I would never trust a digital source to store my music or even pictures, many information lost on broken hard drives, old computers, cd-rs etc. Digital is good and bad at the same time, many formats are not supported on newer computers, i just don't like it. 

What i like is that i can pick up even a 78 rpm record from 1930s made by RCA Victor from my grandpa collection and i can still play it in 2019. Not sure you will be able to play your digital files for such a long time. I can not open some of the digital files made 20 years ago.