Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
That’s what I’ve been saying all along. It’s the digital playback system that’s the problem. We know it has many problems. The most critical part of it isn’t even digital really, it’s analog  - the optical reading of the data. The digital part is later downstream. The digital media per se is not really the problem. In the same vein I mentioned recently that digitally remastered cassettes sound great, too, unlike their CD brethren. Rich, full, dynamic and natural.

I just received a CD today, and the only reason I ordered the CD is to determine how much I'll be willing to pay for the LP.

It's NOLA music by a Nawlins artist, and I'm here to tell you, every note of this music drips with that town;  you can visualize the bawdy houses where this music originated.

Needless to say, I will pay top dollar for the best LP of this music; while the CD sounds good, I'm sure the LP will sound much better and have me riveted to every note.

See if you can guess the music; it has received much discussion on this forum.
There are too many fantastic CDs of historic performances, never to be remastered again.  I've commented on another forum. 
Anything by Ward Marston is usually rare in 78 format and expertly remastered.  LP transfers of acoustic 78s were generally mediocre and the originals when played back at the correct speed, equalization and stylus size beat it.  However, that's where a master like Ward Marston excels.  He does this, a collection of 24 tracks at $18 a CD for $1000s of mint recordings.  What a bargain.
fleschler

I would like to read your writings on another Forum. Tell me where to find.

Happy Listening!

While super expensive is not required, there is a minimum. More important, is the effort and knowledge required for the setup; this can not be overemphasized, it's essential for experiencing the magic.