Turntable for life

I know the question has been asked before but it’s worth asking again. Many change equipment frequently, but have you found your turntable for life?  One that you’ve had for years and still pleases you so much you are going to keep it forever? Price is irrelevant--it can be 300 Dollars or 30.000 Dollars 
fabsound

Showing 2 responses by 213cobra

I have two Luxman PD444 turntables in long term use. One is 40 years old this year, the other is 36. They've outlasted numerous turntables used alongside them over the decades, including Linn, Pink Triangle, multiple VPIs. The only upgrades have been replacement of the stock sprung feet with a combination of brass cones, damping membrane and bearings, which improved the 444's sound substantially.

Phil
@dgarretson 

I did try a variety of alternative mats for the Luxman PD44X turntables over the years, but always constrained by the need to stay very close to the weight of the original mat, for the magnetic repulsion load reduced spindle to function properly. If you use a too-light mat, like cork or foam, the bearing will not be properly loaded. If you use something heavier, like machined copper, it will be excessively loaded.

I always returned to the stock mat, and eventually added a very thin leather mat on top of it, and use the lightweight Michell Delrin clamp.

Phil