Turntable/Arm in 1500-2000 Range

This is a duplicate of the message I posted in Vinyl Asylum, so disregard if you read there. I'm looking for a turntable/arm in the $1500-2000 price range and hope you can help me decide. I've owned a number of budget tables in the past: Systemdek IIX, Linn Basic, Planar 2, Music Hall. Of all of these, I'd say I liked the Systemdek best, but I had trouble w/ the table bouncing due to the wood floors in my house once I moved from an apartment. Even my Labs could set it off pretty badly when they would start running around the room. I've considered various offerings from VPI, Basis, Clearaudio, Michell, Nottingham, Rega etc., and have read some posts on these tables and some reviews in the mags. The only tables I could listen to locally are VPI & Rega, and even these may be limited in the models available to demo. I've heard various VPIs and LP12s locally in the past, and a big Basis about 6-7 yrs. ago, but wasn't really demoing them myself and my listening time was so brief and its been so long that I can't honestly say which I prefer. Plus, the local Linn dealer is now out of business. FYI, the rest of my system are Spendor 2/3s & VAC Avatar. Any recommendations on new or used tables, or what questions should I be asking? Thanks.
tlh28

Showing 2 responses by grandpad

A sprung suspension model like the Gyro might help with your floor problem. I went for an Oracle for the same reason. While it helped it didn't solve the problem.

I'm now going to a wall-mounted shelf bolted to the studs. If your layout permits such an approach it would widen your field of options.
A sprung suspension model like the Gyro might help with your floor problem. I went for an Oracle for the same reason. While it helped it didn't solve the problem.

I'm now going to a wall-mounted shelf bolted to the studs. If your layout permits such an approach it would widen your field of options.

Marakanetz suggestions are good ones. There are several current threads specifically addressing your question. A number of contributers weighed in with their opinions that are worth reading.