Turntable/Arm/Cart for Classic Rock; $1500 budget

Hi All,

I've had an enjoyable digital system for the last few years (Naim CD5x, Aesthetix Calypso, Simaudio W3, Dynaudio 1.3se) but realized that I'm spending less and less time listening to the classic rock/folk that I really love - Neil Young, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. It generally sounds a little thin and "less present" than I would like. Contemporary rock music sounds great - the latest Black Keys and My Morning Jacket albums have brought tears to my eyes they sound so good.

I think the answer is to get a nice analog setup and buy some LPs (I have none today). My old roommate plugged her very inexpensive Project table and phono stage into my system and I enjoyed listening to her mom's old copies of Blood on the Tracks and Zep IV immensely. It was nearly as good as the CDs on my Naim, and in some ways was better.

So...what do I buy? I need a table, arm, cartridge and want to spend less than $1500, used. Can I get something that will bring me enjoyment that exceeds what I'm getting from digital? I'd like something with a good sense of pace, generally neutral but with a bit of warmth.

I'm considering the following tables/arms (all available for <$1,000):
- Rega P3/RB300
- VPI Scout/JMW 9
- Basis 1400/RB300

Any comments on this list? Anything I should add?

As for cartridges, I plan to wait until I select a table/arm...but expect to look closely at the Dynavector 20xl, at $750.

Oh, and phono stages: I made an impulse Audiogon buy for a Simaudio LP5.3 phono stage (because I like Simaudio and feel like a phono is important), but if anyone thinks that's overkill or inappropriate please say so!

This forum has been really helpful to me in the past...so thanks everyone for all you've done so far and thanks in advance for any guidance here.

Regards,
Nirav
niravp

Showing 1 response by analog_soul

If your into rock, try to look for a direct drive turntable like technics 1200, it's more dynamic that belt drive TT. Pair it with Ortofon 2M carts or their MC Tango/Salsa cart. I've heard this kind of set up and I was really upbeat. This TT-cart combo has a live presentation.