Turn down the Volume!

One topic that seems rarely discussed is volume. If you listen to mixing engineers, it’s their most feared aspect of how their work is measured, since it’s out of their control. This leads to things like loudness wars (assume the worst). As my system has improved, my main takeaway is I can be engaged with 60db peaks, where when I hear other systems you often have to turn it up to 90db peaks for it to sound decent. I’m pretty sure it all has to do with bass and room energy, but wonder if others have a similar experience. Side note that reviews or any subjective ‘better’ statements about gear rarely indicate how loud they are listening. since all we can perceive if volume it is puzzling. I will say if it sounds good with 110 db peaks then that is impressive. 

dain

a minority opinion here- what would benefit most systems in most listening environments the most, is a good compressor. the compressor would raise the bottom level of the music where it can more easily be heard above the environmental noise floor, so less overall volume is required to feel like one isn't missing the quiet bits. the record [LP and 78] engineers of old knew what they were doing when they had to restrict the dynamic range within about 40-50 db, as most people's total systems [including their listening environment and people within and around that environment] couldn't handle a greater dynamic range. 

If your speakers are good enough, low volumes will still be engaging.  

Over the years I’ve had great success at highly enjoyable low-volume listening with the famed Epi 100 speakers (Epicure)... they sound excellent at any volume... and with almost any amp, for that matter.

Now, I recently got Klipsch Heresy IV - yep, my first ever horn speakers, and the horn high-efficiency aspect has been discussed by other posters - and I am delighted to report that they do project magic into the room even at very low volumes and quiet night time listening.  Of course, they sound super when cranked up too, but a real test of quality speakers is Do They Sound Good At Any Volume, Including Low Volume.

@patrickdowns  that seems familiar. I haven’t experimented too much but recently tried several preamps. I’m still confused as to what a high quality preamp does, but in this instance the one I tried needed to be quite loud to have any impact compared to the great one I currently have. So that’s an area to explore. I figured it was more about amps, but perhaps it’s about the lowest current gains. I also have a fully balanced system so that seems to raise the average outputs, but as with all systems it seems to do with synergy. 

@curtdr I have the opposite sort of speakers (Magnepan) but a friend has horns. Listening to his system once and while it didn’t ‘seem’ loud, I checked and it was actually over 100db in average. Now perhaps it’s a mistake but could the ‘focus’ of horns have this effect? Bass also plays a huge role, having twin subs seems to counterintuitivey let me turn things down. 

Between 70 and 80 db for me. Anything less or more won't be pleasurable to my ears.