Tunning Tube amplifier

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how and what tools that I need to buy so that I can tune my tube amplifier?

Generically speaking, the only simple tasks for an end user of a tube amp are:

1) periodically check the status of all tubes using an appropriate tube tester;

2) adjust the bias of the output tubes using a voltmeter. This step may vary with the amp in question. Some amps automatically bias the output tubes or may have another procedure to follow.

If you don't have one, get an owners manual for your amp. Even for used equipment these are often available as a free download if you look around the internet. People also often sell them on eBay. If you are technically inclined, you may also want to obtain a technician's service manual.

There are further tweaks and modifications a person can do, but they often require technical skills and/or additional test equipment. It is tough to be any more specific without knowing the make and model of your amp.
Do you mean that you want to "align" the tuner? If this is the case, you will need:

- Small plastic slug tuning tools.
- The service manual that _should_ have the alignment procedures and the equipment required.
- The test equipment will also be required. Generally, this includes an FM stereo signal generator, an AC voltmeter, and perhaps an oscilloscope plus, test leads, etc.

The last item is usually the one that gets most folks as the outlay in funds isn't small for a one or two-time sort of event. If you don't have the gear, find someone local who does this sort of thing.

Hope that helps.