Tung Sol 6550 vs. GEC/Genelex/Gold Monarch KT88

Anyone have experience rolling these tubes, and would you comment on their sonic characteristics? I'd be using them in a VAC Phi 110 push/pull amplifier with Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA driver tubes.
128x128tvad

Showing 6 responses by tvad

I know you can usually use them in the same amp (swapping one type for another as a set...not individually). They are not electrically the same. They require different biasing.
Metralla, no I haven't read that article, although I'd like to, and I'll order the back issue tomorrow. In the meantime, any highlights would be appreciated, especially as related to Tung Sol 6550 and Genelex KT88.
Metralla, thanks for the list. It's interesting that the only other tubes I've rolled in my amp were GE 6550As, and I wasn't impressed. Now, I know my ears weren't deceiving me. Now, I'm especially curious about the Tung Sol or Gold Lions and how much better 1.5+ points is on the scale?

Also, interesting that the JJ tubes ranked so high. I went to the VTV website and they seem to feature JJ tubes for sale. Coincidence?
I took the plunge and bought a set of NOS Genelex Gold Monarchs to replace my the stock Chinese KT88 tubes that cam with my VAC amp. I should have them the week of Dec. 5th and I will report back after some listening.
I tried GE6550a tubes in my VAC amp, and there was not enough difference to warrant the $250 expense. Frankly, I preferred the stock Chinese KT88s...they had more extension and tighter bass.
711Smilin, this hobby (or addiction) is filled with components and tweaks that are insanely expensive, and add just a little more greatness to a system. This is what the Genelex Gold Monarchs do. With the Gold Monarchs in the VAC amp, there is a little more "magic" to the mids and sweetness to the highs. I don't find it romantic, or bloomy, but just more "real". Bass is still deep. Soundstage is very open.

Honestly, I could live with the stock VAC tubes if I had to, but the Genelex Gold Monarchs are better, and worth the expense.