TUBES: Telefunken EL84 & ECC801

Hello. Who's familiar with sound of vintage 60s military Telefunken E84L (el84) and ECC801S (ecc81) ?

Can you guys recommend me something better than telefunken? I have a set of these Telefunken tubes in my WLM Minueta class-a push-pull and i like it, but this is the only one set of hi-end tubes of highest quality i have. Need to secure myself and buy another as a spare set. Also i'd love to try something better if possible. I listen my WLM in triod mode with Druid MK5 speakers of 101db and love it. I must say when i changed stock tubes (modern JJ & Tungsram) to vintage nos military Telefunked the difference was huge! I believe only with Telefunked i realised what is the tube sound.

I'm considering some other hi-end NOS tubes of that kind from different brands or maybe some top of the line new reissue tubes (i'm still doubt they can compete with Telefunken).

Need help.
128x128chakster

Showing 1 response by myles_b_astor

Ones results will of course will depend on the gear but in my Doshi phono stage the TELE ECC801s rule. Very clean, revealing, transparent and dynamic. Be careful though because NOS sometimes equates to OC (old crap). A lower priced but also very good alternative to the TELE is a Mullard CV4024. Very similar to the TELE but a little more colored and not quite the same frequency extremes.

Have also used Mark and Kevin and have had nothing but excellent service.