tubes or no tubes

ok, finally I am getting into higher performance...but now to cross or not to cross the tube bridge.

Sold my PMC TB2s, waiting on a pair of FB1s from a fellow Agon member and thinking of using a VTL ST 150. Go tubes or stick with my Bryston 3BST?

Just wondering about the sonic match to an easy speaker to drive (8ohm @ 90db)

Any thoughts...please? I think I know the answer, guess I am looking for the push...yes?
gelmhirst
I'm not familiar with VTL gear. I use the Cary SLI-80 Signature ($3,200) an integrated which IMHO is better than solid state regardless of cost. I agree with the person who said there's no going back. WORDS TO THE WISE: (1) Make room in your budget for rolling tubes -- tubes make a huge sonic difference, (2) look for tube rectification and, (3) look for point-to-point wiring as opposed to printed circuit boards.
Sincerely,
Jay
I believe it depends on what tube amp and or; to go with what speakers. Right now as we speak I have 4 tube amps. They range from a little Sound Valves el34 stereo amp to the CJ8xs monos.Thrown in between, an Aeries g 845 pair.--Along wit 3 SS amps.--Well sure, I have several pairs of speakers as well.(2 horns and 3 with cones)---It just isn't as "cut and dry" a choice.--Buy 'em all and try 'em all.BTW I live in an apartment;it's getting crowded in here.
Ah..The battle rages on....

Having crossed back and forth over that line many times looking for the magic amp I have finally found an amp that I really find to be something special. It has the magic of VTL Tiny Triodes with the brawn of a high power muscle amp. Of course it is the Ayre V3. I had heard so many good things about these amps over the years, but never really jumped on the wagon. I was spinning through ARC, VTL, Krell, Cary, Kora, Classe, CJ..I could go on, but the bottom line is that there is something very magical to the sound of this Ayre. Of course I am front ending it with a highly modified ARC LS-7 tube preamp.

Regarding your purchase of the VTL 150. That is a fine amp and it seems to hold its value. It sounds good, uses an easily obtainable output tube and looks good. It would be a good choice. The Audio Research Classic 60 is a fine sounding amp as well. The power is lower and the care and feeding is a bit higher as well. The CJ MV-50 thru MV-60 are excellent amps as well. They are easy to maintain and sound awesome.

My only recommendation for a new tube purchase is to steer away from the Chinese stuff. It all looks great, sounds ok, but who will fix it if a tube bottle-rockets and burns a handful of resistors? I think that at some point your local BFI trash pickup will have a special recycling bin for most of that gear.

So cross over, have fun with it. You can always cross back. When you do, I suggest that you consider the Ayre.
I think the next debate should not be tubes or SS but the color of the faceplate. Everyone worth their salt knows that champagne finish gear sounds better than black or silver equipment!!!

Don't worry about the merits of any particular amp, get one that's the right color, everything else will fall into place.
What about a hybrid (teh hee)....with a champagne faceplate with black and silver accents.

Glad to help.