Tubes for VTL ST-150?

On the used market, I just get a new tube amplifier, VTL model ST-150 (75 w/c in triode and 140 w/c in tetrode). This unit has eight Electro Harmonix tubes KT88EH. Also, there are two 12AT7 tubes and two 12BH7 tubes. In the user manual , the manufacturer refers to eight 6550C tubes. I’m not sure to understand the subtelties of these different desings between KT88 and 6550C tubes and sonic results too. Are they some members of this forum would be able to help me to clarify that?

Does the expert members of this forum would kind enough to provide advice on the choice of tubes preferred for the VTL ST-150? I would appreciate very much receiving your help. If there are some actual or past VTL ST-150 owners on this forum, I woul appreciate very much if you could share your experiences.

Thanks

Camerio33
camerio33

Showing 1 response by rdavwhitaker

I have a VTL ST-150, and my understanding, from reading some posts on the subject, is that the 6550 and KT88 are considered largely interchangeable, but that the KT88 was designed to be a bit more stable in amplifiers. For myself, I have always figured that VTL knows its business, and I have stuck with the recommended tubes. But many tube rollers swear by the various KT88s. I think that the KT88EH tubes you currently have installed are considered by many to be one of the best "alternative" tubes for the ST-150.