TUBES 6922 pinched waist

Has anybody heard them? Are they worth the big bucks?
gellis1
With my amp (Audion Silver Night MKII), my description of 6922 types would be quite different than that described in Joe's Tube Lore. As Tvad writes, that is one man's comprehensive viewpoint. A valuable one indeed, but not categorically applicable.

Gellis1, you will have to experiment with different tubes in order to find what works best for you. Yes, that gets pretty expensive when it comes to NOS tubes. But there is no end-all/be-all tube, not in terms of something that will behave the same way in every component, let alone to two different sets of ears.

Unlike lucky Tvad, I have purchased a number of microphonic 6922's. Buy ONLY from a reputable seller with a warranty, or this venture can potentially become far more expensive than you had anticipated.

All the best,
Howard
Try Andy @ Vintage Tube Services. His phone number is on his web site-www.vintagetubeservices.com He should be able to give you the history of pinched waist tubes. He told me that it was a further attempt by some vacuum tube manufacturers to reduce microphonics. A roller was used on the glass to give it the pinched look and they were only manufactured for a few years. I think that if you can find any, they will be outragously priced. Andy told me that he has only run across one pinched waist tube. As far as 7308 tubes go... I've been told that they were an attempt by manufacturers to make a hardier tube than the 6922. I run 7308 Amperex white label/shield tubes in my preamp. I like their sound, but I haven't done that much tube rolling. I believe that they are a tougher, longer lasting tube. Andy should be able to give you a seasoned opinion of 7308's as well. When it comes to knowledge, he's the man! Good luck! Stan
Talon4,When you say shield are you talking about the shield around the PQ on the outside of the glass?
Yes, my 7308 vacuum tubes have a shield around the "pq" on one side of the tube. On the opposite side of the tube, it's labeled "Amperex 7308 USA." They made a Holland version of this tube, but I've never tried it. The Holland version is sapposed to be a little sweeter. I've noticed that these tubes are starting to get expensive as well. I've got 4 matched sets of 7308 Amperex PQ white label with shield in my preamp. With that many tubes needed, tube rolling is kind of out for me.
Talon4,Thanks for explaining the sheild.I have only 2 tubes in my pre they are seimens CCa type.They sound great. With only 2 I can play with different tubes.I just tried some Amperex 6dj8 Bugle Boys white lettering.They lacked bass and were harsh in the highs.I hope the PQs are better.