Tubed DAC w Balanced Out & Volume Control

I'm looking for such a creature for my small bedroom system, to feed a pair of Hypex Ncore 400 monoblocks going into Harbeth P3 monitors. Right now I'm using an (original version) Wyred4Sound DAC2, and am also thinking of checking out a Benchmark - both have balanced outs. But I'd prefer one with a tube output section. Recommendations?

Thanks, Peter
peter_s

Showing 2 responses by zd542

I would judge a dac by sound quality, and not some generic feature, but that's just me. The Aesthetix Pandora will meet all of your specifications. It may even sound good, too.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be too negative in my last post. There's just been a run of questions lately treating components like they're generic items. "Should I get a stereo amp or monos?, bipolar or mosfet's?". Things like that.

Anyway, back to your DAC. I can't see you going wrong with the Aesthetix I mentioned, or possibly the Cary. (I haven't heard that model dac, but I have heard several other digital products from Cary and liked them very much). I don't know what your budget is, but if you're willing to go SS, you have a lot more options. A good used Wadia 27 or DCS Elgar are both excellent choices. I know there's other great dacs out there, but I try to recommend stuff I've used and know fairly well.