Tube Watts Vs. Soild-State Watts?

I am considering replacing a large solid-state amplifier with a decent sized tube amp, and was wondering what I may be giving up/gaining by making the change? My speakers are quite sensitive, about 98dB. I love the dynamics and bass control the big SS amp provides, but I would like to get more resolution and detail out of my music. I don't play music at loud volumes, but I do enjoy decent listening levels. Any info appreciated.
333jeffery

Showing 3 responses by mac48025

I love the look of the NAT amp, those tubes are sweet looking. It should easily drive the DI's. Yes, please let us know your impressions when you get the NAT. Like Charles, I think you'll be very happy with the combo. 
333jeffery.....400 wpc with Double Impacts? You can create rock concert sound levels with that combo! It must be dynamic as hell. I think you'll be very happy driving the DI's with tubes. I'm using a 24 watt Decware amp on mine and it's delightful unless I want to crank it up. I'll be switching to a Linear Tube Audio 50 watt into 4 ohms OTL tube amp to get me where I want to be.....the same pre and amp used in Terry Londons upcoming review of the Tekton Double Impacts. I would think an 80 watt single ended class A amp would work extremely well with your DI's. Start looking for some sweet NOS tubes! The DI's reveal every characteristic upstream in your system making tube rolling quite fun. Please keep us informed as to which amp you go with and how it lights up your DI's. 
Sounds interesting 333jeffery. It's certainly a type of tube amp I'm not familiar with. A tube the size of a coffee can? That should light up the room. Best of luck with it. The DI's sound great with tubes.....but then I love the tube sound. You'll certainly hear all the details the amp can provide with the DI's.