Tube sound: Tung Sol KT 120 vs KT 88

hi. I have a CARY SLI-80 signature series amp… and I’m wondering what the difference in sound… equally eligible tubes for this amp… please comment on knowledge of differences… power? bass? Midrange?

thank you

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

Showing 2 responses by moose89

Thank you a lot for your response SL I 80 integrated amp with headphone jack. My output tubes are Svelvania 6550 quad. And I am running Cornwall fours.

the other tubes are Genelex Gold Lion 6922’s, EH 6SN7’s, with some Tung Sol USA rectifiers ordered on EBay. Crazy but I bought it on eBay as it looked new, and when I received it all the wrong fuses were installed and the AC fuse was blown. There were slow blows where there needed to be quick blows, and I don’t even know if it works yet because I bought it when it was obtained through consignment. I thought to myself wow, if it just doesn’t power up, it must be bad fuses, which has proven true. But I need the rectifier tubes to test what I have installed and replaced which was an assortment of KT 80/8  of which two of them were gold lion, but they had black and circles on the sides of the tubes which I guess means they got burned somehow and the others were EH. Not a matching quad. It will be a fantastic deal if everything internal was protected by blown fuses, which I won’t find out until I get the rectifier tubes in the mail. I have replaced proper fuses to my knowledge, and I am no electronic genius. I have returned after purchase to SLI Dash 80s on eBay that I have been over $3000 worth on each to my door refunded now. This amp is only costing me $1000 so I have some money to play with. Thanks for your help. 

Thank you a lot for your response SL I 80 integrated amp with headphone jack. My output tubes are Svelvania 6550 quad. And I am running Cornwall fours.

the other tubes are Genelex Gold Lion 6922’s, EH 6SN7’s, with some Tung Sol USA rectifiers ordered on EBay. Crazy but I bought it on eBay as it looked new, and when I received it all the wrong fuses were installed and the AC fuse was blown. There were slow blows where there needed to be quick blows, and I don’t even know if it works yet because I bought it when it was obtained through consignment. I thought to myself wow, if it just doesn’t power up, it must be bad fuses, which has proven true. But I need the rectifier tubes to test what I have installed and replaced which was an assortment of KT 80/8  of which two of them were gold lion, but they had black and circles on the sides of the tubes which I guess means they got burned somehow and the others were EH. Not a matching quad. It will be a fantastic deal if everything internal was protected by blown fuses, which I won’t find out until I get the rectifier tubes in the mail. I have replaced proper fuses to my knowledge, and I am no electronic genius. I have returned after purchase to SLI Dash 80s on eBay that I have been over $3000 worth on each to my door refunded now. This amp is only costing me $1000 so I have some money to play with. Thanks for your help.