Tube rolling my preamp with 6922EH

I'm planning on testing the Electro-Harmonix 6922EH's in my preamp, from the stock Sovtek's. Anyone have experience with these or the 6922EHG with Gold Pins? How much improvement can you get with the gold pins?
parapatton

Showing 3 responses by newbee

I have used the EH6922 in several different components and in only one unit did their substitution have poor results (my ARC SP10, in which I use 6h23's). Generally I found them to have a full bass, an uncolored mid-range, and not over-emphasized highs. No particular warmth, but they are not even close to the sound of a Sovtek which in most components will sound as cold as a well diggers ass. IMHO of course. Also, sound wise, gold pins are not additive, but since they do not corode like steel pins they should maintain a sonic constancy which can deteriorate with steel pins (that corrosion issue is the reason I pull and check my tubes annually). Electrically, unless the socket has gold contacts, gold pins are of no benefit. Personally I wouldn't pay more for the gold pins. BTW consider that many very highly regarded NOS tubes have steel or stainless steel pins.

FWIW
In what way would you like to improve the sound from your pre-amp? You need a fix on that otherwise you will just be fling as blind as the recommendations that you will receive.

'Improvement' is too vague, especially when what most folks are actually looking for is a tonal 'difference'. The few that don't are usually looking for the same tonal balance but want greater clarity.

Tell us what you are looking for and if it is obtainable I'm sure you will get some sound recommendations.
Before you venture off into NOS tubes, which addmittedly can be better in many applications, try some of the alternative new production 6922/6dj8's, and see what you think of them. Try the EH, also the JJ, which sound nothing alike, and given your financial considerations and lack of real focus, may just float your boat. If you don't like either of these tubes at least you will have gained another reference when asking for advise, for example my observations of the performance of the EH. BTW the EH is not a 'bad tube' at all. Lots of folks like it!

Caveat 6922/6dj8's that are quiet and worthwhile are usually very expensive. I prefer Amperex BugleBoys, some Siemans, and Tele's. Old Yugo's (EI's) now hard to find, are probably my all around favorite. Be very careful about who you buy from, this is classic swampland territory.