Tube Rolling for TAD-150

I will receive my TAD-150 tomorrow. I read some great reviews on this unit. Has anyone had the chance to do some tube rolling with this unit. How do the stock tubes compare with other NOS tubes?

Other components; Vandersteen 2CE sigs, McCormack DNA-1 AMP, Adcom GCD500 CD, Thorens 160 C with Goldring 1012 cartridge and LINN Basik plus arm. XTC interconnects, Signal cable and FRO-ZEN power cords....

Eagleman
eagleman6722

Showing 1 response by mezzrow

Getting to the tubes in the TAD-150 is a bit of a chore...you need to unscrew the top screws as well as the four upper screws on either side of the unit. After you remove the cover, you need to unscrew the two screws that secure the reflective chrome "box" that sits behind the tubes, then slowly (and carefully) slide out the box.

Re. tubes, I had very good luck with a matched pair of cryo-treated Ei ECC83 (12AX7), which were also quite reasonably priced. I am currently using a pair of matched NOS Telefunken 12AT7 from Andy at Vintage Tube Services. The sound is amazing but they weren't cheap.

Interestingly, I tried one of the Groove Tube "Mullard reissue" 12AX7s in the 12AX7 slot of the TAD-60 and found it produced a bit of hum in my speakers that I don't get when with other tubes...maybe I got a lousy tube, people seem to like it.