Tube rolling for EAR 912

Hi, i've just registered here but have been a passive read'er for a while, and learned a lot in different threads.

I have recently bought an EAR 912 tube preamp and i want to experiment with different tubes (not because im not happy as it is, i love it... but because i can :) ). So i wonder if anyone have tested 6N1P-EV tube in the 912? And how did it compare to the original? I got the following quote from wiki, regarding this tube: "... excellent low distortion and low noise characteristics."

I am also open for suggestion to other types of tubes, but preferably only tubes that someone has heard on the 912.

Note that i am completely green when it comes to tube amps and tubes, theEAR912 is my first one.
aboy

Showing 1 response by fleschler

I have an EAR Acute which I use large O getter late 1950s Amperex.  They are superior to many of the more modern tubes I've tried (about 15 pairs).  Also, my older EAR 864 line stage sounded dull compared to the Mullard 12AX7 CV4004 and cleartop RCA 12AU7 in the line stage.  It became a different animal too, lush tonality (spot on), super dynamic, super deep bass, extended but sweet highs.  I keep it only as a backup because it did suffer from an opaque quality (not severe, just not high end), lacking air and openness of my current pre-amp.  Otherwise, what a gem to listen to at it's price.