Tube Rolling for Convergent Audio SL1 Preamps

just wondering if anyone has experience in experimenting with different tubes in a convergent audio sl1 preamp....ken stevens, the preamps designer, will tell you that premium nos tubes like old telefunkens, mullards, amperex, etc will make NO DIFFERENCE in the sound quality....that his design works with todays current tubes just fine.....i find that hard to believe since they can make a HUGE difference in other pieces of gear.....does anyone have an opinion that they can offer?.....many thanx!
dante

Showing 2 responses by posbwp555

I guess on different days, Ken has different opinions.
He has told me that Telefunken smooth plates are the best he has heard in his preamps. I think he hasn't done much experimenting. There are lots of tubes that will vastly outperform Telefunkens in my CAT Sig MK2. I am currently using Amperex 6922 pinched waist and Sylvania 5751 blackplate 3 mica square getter tubes in the pre. This combination is the best I have found (lots of rolling) and very expensive. Almost anyhting will outperform the Sovtek 6922 that is the stock tube in the pre. There are lots of tubes that will outperform the EI 12AX7's. If you try the inexpensive American tube types you will find better tubes than the stock tubes.

Bart
Just a quick correction on my previous post. I have the CAT Ultimate MK2 not the CAT Sig MK2.

Bart