Tube question for Berning EA-230 amp owners...

Has anyone tried using a RCA 5692 red base in place of the 6SN7GTB's in a this amp? I really enjoy the sound of a pair of 1950's black plate RCA 6SN7GTB's I have been using in it lately, and was wondering if the supposedly better sounding 5692 red base would be compatible with the voltage that the EA-230 runs at. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
bigshutterbug

Showing 1 response by bigshutterbug

Thanks guys! Yes, I too have heard just slight differences when rolling other 6JN6's, and very noticeable sonic tonal and detail differences with both the input and driver tubes. The Sylvania 6SN7's had great speed, dynamics and detail, but were too forward for my tastes in this amp. I found the same goes for the Sylvania 12AT7's in my EA-230.
You can tell David did not voice this amp with them originally. My favorite driver and input tubes so far are the RCA black plates. I'll also have to try some older Mullard 12AT7's soon. One of the great things about this amp is that once I finally decide on the right set of tubes all around, they will probably last me for decades!
I still have all the original stock tubes that have been in the amp since the early 1980's, and they all test near new! I'll try to contact David about compatibility with the 5692's as suggested.