Tube Preamps that work well with SS amps?

I'm looking for a tube preamp after years of strictly SS. My amps will remain SS. Which tube preamp(s) in your experience mated well with a SS amp? I'm trying to avoid the odd phenomenon where tube preamp + SS amp = slow, soggy sound in spite of benign impedance characteristics

greg7

@joekapahulu Acurus was a great value version of Aragon, but cut some corners to keep the prices modest. There's a good chance that a better preamp would be a huge upgrade, whether it be SS or tube. For example, many top models have separate power supplies connected by an umbilical. 

You could research what other owners of MC250 have found synergy using...guessing their replies will be heavily numbered towards Mc obviously. 

This is far from the first time similar questions have been asked. You have a lot to gain searching archives for those threads and then ctrl-F "MC250". Cheers,

Spencer

miketuason
314 posts

Funny, the OP never replied back here since the first post.

And he probably won’t.

To the person who responded immediately above, sure I will respond if necessary. I’m just patiently reading. I’m just gathering information here. I didn’t mean to post two versions of the same topic, by the way. This was meant to address something that was said in the other topic, i.e., tube preamps that somehow DON’T work well with SS amps in spite of benign impedance matching. Who knows, maybe it’s an input sensitivity and/or gain issue in those instances.