Tube Preamp with PS Audio P300

Hi,
I have a PS Audio P300 power conditioner with mult wave and I'm buying a BAT VK 5i preamp.Can I use the power conditioner with a tube preamp? Would mult wave effect the tubes?
Thanks,
Joe
jcb2000

Showing 2 responses by sidssp

PP-300 may not provide enough start up current for BAT. You might want to check with Victor at BAT or Paul at PS Audio about that. My VK-50SE is powered by a PP-600 with great results. Some MW settings will cause the transformers to buzz. Mine is set at PS-2 and it is dead silent.

If you could stretch your budget a bit I would strongly suggest getting a PP-600 instead. Although a PP-300 is rated at 300W but in reality, you don’t want to push it beyond 200 or it will get very hot – even with the internal fan. And once you try it with a piece of your equipment, you will want to plug in more and very soon a PP-300 will run out of juice. PP-600 is rated at 720W and is more flexible. I have my entire front-ends (5 pieces) plus a 53” RPTV powered by a single PP-600 without any problem. They draw a total of 420W.

BTW, if you are getting the PP-600, make sure you order the new top plate with a vent slot. It helps cool down the unit a lot.
My VK-50SE does not use much power during normal operation but it requires a lot of current during start up. I was told by BAT that PP-300 cannot handle it. The PP-300 will shut down before the preamp completes its start up cycle. I don't know much about the VK-5i, it might need less power and that was why I suggested to ask BAT and PS Audio.