Tube Preamp - What to buy?

Looking to take my first venture into the tube world and going with a tube preamp.  My budget is up to $2500 and willing to buy used or new however realize with my budget that used is probably a better path. I would like to have a built-in MM phone stage.  I am use to having a remote and tone controls, so that would be nice however not a necessity.  

For further information my speakers are Revel Performa3 F206 and the current amp(s) is Conrad Johnson SA-250 and I also have a Rotel RB1552.  I many be looking for an amp upgrade in the future, but one thing at a time. 

So far I have been looking at used Audio Research and Conrad Johnson preamps but very open to opinions on brand and model.  Thanks and I look forward to your opinions and experiences.  
speter04
what @ghdprentice said...

c-j and arc - beyond reproach

of course not the only good ones out there, but you will not go wrong with these makes for sound and build quality, and the company won't fold on you
Audio Research and CJ are at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum.  What sound characteristics are you looking for?
Audio Research and CJ are at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum.

the sonic gap has been narrowing for some time now, at this point, their top of line pieces are rather convergent.... c-j gat and arc ref 6/10 are both very extended, impactful, excellent bass drive, with tube beauty and richness in the midband, and expansive, deep quite specific soundstaging

days of crystal clear fast grounded arc vs c-j’s honey colored beauty with sloppy bass and rolled off treble date back to circa 2000, when the arc sp-16 and c-j pv12 were current

c-j still dedicated to single ended connections while arc top stuff is balanced only...  that is a major distinction that persists