Tube preamp recommendations $3K-$7K range

I am considering replacing my solid state preamp with a tube pre. I plan keep my solid state amp. Also, my DAC/PSU are tubed. Am looking in the $3K-$7K range. Based on reviews and audio forums, I have narrowed my search to the three units below:

PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium
Backert labs Rhythm or Rhumba Extreme
Modwright LS 36.5

A bit of background: I purchased my Haflers in the mid '80's (!) to replace my venerable Marantz college dorm unit (along with Polk SDA2's to replace no-name bookshelf units an audiophile uncle bequeathed to me. I vividly recall his aquamarine glowing McIntosh amp, Thorens turntable and Thiel floor standers that were as tall as I was at the time...)

The dealer had modded the Haflers by Musical Concepts, which was my first exposure to John Hillig's work.

Last year I invested in Musical Concepts' most recent Hafler upgrades for my amp, preamp and cdp. Not much is written online about John's mods, but to my ear the improvement was astounding in every way my ear could measure. Since that time, I've continued on the upgrade path to my current system with which I am very happy.

Yet, I am curious about what tubes will do to my system. My current system (with which I am very satisfied) is:

Hafler DH 220 Amp/Musical Concepts PA6 Elite Ultra Mod
Hafler DH 110 Preamp/ Musical Concepts LXII Elite Mod
Musical Concepts modded Rotel 1072 CDP//Musical Concepts Elite Mod
Modwright tube modded Oppo Sonica DAC with Modwright external tube PSU

Harbeth m30.1 monitors
Dual HSU VTF1 MK3 subs
DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033-S

Fidelizer Nimitra Computer Audio Server as Roon core
Fidelizer Nikola LPS

Goertz BP 1000 VA Balanced Power Conditioner
Furutech e-TP60 Power Distribution Unit

After market ICs/PCs:
Wywires Silver Juice II PCs and Modwright Umbilical
Shyunyata Venom 14 PC
Synergistic Research Element Tungsten and Accelerator ICs and PCs with Michael Spallone V2 modded MPCs

WDMycloud NAS

Listening room for near field listening is 12x10x8; opens to larger living area where I do much listening as well.

I welcome any input or recommendations you may have.
Regards,
Daniel

128x128cantorgale
Daniel,

To start with, you have a very nice system now.  I too have relied on modifications to maximize the sound of my basic components.

Interestingly, my conrad johnson PV 12L was extensively modified by RHB Design which is Bob Backert's modification company.  He and his son do their magic on gear of various brands, although Bob has specialized for years in working on cj gear.  

When I saw Backert Labs' two preamps on your list of possibles I was moved to reply.  Bob's thing is attention to every blessed detail in a design.  Impeccable workmanship.  I've had the pleasure to meet Bob several times and he has the perfect temperament for what he does.  He is quite meticulous and real low key.  Patience!

I haven't had the good fortune to hear any of his proprietary preamps but if you are looking for a rich, tubey sound, his gear probably won't give you that.  He is all about accuracy to the incoming music signal.  Don't get me wrong, that "rightness" that a tube preamp can bring to a system will be there but I would doubt it would be generally characterized as warm in the classic tube sense.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade my Backert modified cj pre for any other preamp.  

One last thought.  Bob has patents on preamp power supply designs.  He puts his all into the power supply section of his designs.

I have a Modwright SACD player with the tube rectified PSU.  That PSU is a true key to the sound of Dan's modded units as I am sure you already know.

I look forward to reading about your preamp journey.  All the best!
Wolf,
I’m certain that the Atna-Sphere would mate beautifully with your Dennis Had SEP amplifier. What’s a few trips off the couch to adjust the volume? Come on.
Charles
Interesting thread, one that pops up a lot.  I second Soix advice on the Don Sach's preamp.   I got one of the first-gen versions, now with most of the current-generation upgrades ,and can wish for no better preamp.   It bettered the less expensive Modwright preamp I had at the time.   Don Sachs believes that there is magic in using 6SN7 tubes and I completely agree.  Check out Don Sachs' website for more information.  For under $3K, you can get his preamp with all the latest revisions.   
a used Audio Research - my LS25 Mk II cost $2,500 with new select tubes in it - less than your minimum

a friend got an LS28 new and loves it

lots of used ARC every time they bring out a new pre- just start looking

I expect (w/o listening to each next to one another) that it will be lots better than Halfer, modded or not - Hafler was great price-performance gear in its day, and very very good overall, but R&D marches on
@whitestix Don Sachs’ gear does look interesting. IHave you ever heard his phono stage?