Tube preamp for Pass Labs x150.5 Amp

I currently have a AES AE-3 DJH Preamplifier linking together my Metrum Hex DAC and Pass Labs x150.5 Amp. The Pass is such a neutral/warm amp, that the AES tube preamp is making the total sound too warm in my opinion. I'm thinking of replacing the preamp with something not as warm, but would still like to stay with a tube pre. What would you recammend as a tube pre that could still have that tube sound, but not as warm? I'd like to keep it under 2K used or new, and am considering the Red wine isabella. thoughts?
linaeum66

Showing 1 response by sondeknz

If you are keen to introduce tubes in the preamp, I recommend: -

TRANSCENDENT Grounded Grid Preamp

You can buy it fully assembled from the master or really enjoy yourself and build it from kitset.
(Or perhaps even get your local tube guru to build it for you...)

Even fully loaded with the very best components that money will buy, including: -
A quality stepped attenuator
A quality switch
Additional RCAs if you need more inputs
Quality capacitors and resistors
NOS 12AU7 tubes
Teflon/Silver wiring
etc. etc. etc...

...I doubt you would spend more than $2k

This little amp is an absolute blinder, combining frequency extension at both ends (1 dB down from 5 Hz to 300 kHz!) with sizzling dynamics and that magic tube 'palpability' that we all love.

The web is full of reviews... Check it out.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Grounded_Grid_Preamp.html

PS: I built mine in 2002 and still keep trying new upgrades to see how much more I can squeeze out of it!