Tube preamp and McCormack DNA-500

Looking for a tube preamp to match and perform well w/ a McCormack DNA-500. Want to spend 1700, preferably less. Speakers: Ohm Walsh 5000 (4 ohm 82-87 db efficient). Listen primarily to classic jazz (hard bop). Emailed Steve McCormack about using a tube preamp with the DNA 500. He responded:
Most tube preamps will do a fine job with the DNA-500 - you just have to watch out for the few that won't. Check the output impedance spec of any preamp you are considering - lower is better, at least in this regard. As long as your preamp has an output impedance spec of 800 Ohms or less, you should be fine.

Looking for a tube preamp that does not roll off the highs, full sounding (not thin) in the mids; detailed presentaion is good, not rolled off in the low end; in other words I like low end extension and weight; Not looking for leanness or soft bass. I like transparency; complete and utter neutrality is not my priority as some gear seems to lean towards. Some tube sound is preferable but without a veil. Suggetions please? Thanks
foster_9

Showing 2 responses by marakanetz

First what have you been using before?

In my knowlege there aren't too many tube preamps that are realy good for DNA500 which dictates the limited choice.
Manley Shrimp seems to be a great match only if $1k is true for used.

Not sure if this one will outperform your current setup if that is what you're aiming for with tubes.
Foster,
There's a pro product called ATI "The Match Maker" that has an output impedance close to zero and is very newtral. You can sometimes spot it on ebay for less than $100 and consider that as a very cheap tweak.
That will bring your choice of tube amps way up above the limit.