Tube preamp and McCormack DNA-500

Looking for a tube preamp to match and perform well w/ a McCormack DNA-500. Want to spend 1700, preferably less. Speakers: Ohm Walsh 5000 (4 ohm 82-87 db efficient). Listen primarily to classic jazz (hard bop). Emailed Steve McCormack about using a tube preamp with the DNA 500. He responded:
Most tube preamps will do a fine job with the DNA-500 - you just have to watch out for the few that won't. Check the output impedance spec of any preamp you are considering - lower is better, at least in this regard. As long as your preamp has an output impedance spec of 800 Ohms or less, you should be fine.

Looking for a tube preamp that does not roll off the highs, full sounding (not thin) in the mids; detailed presentaion is good, not rolled off in the low end; in other words I like low end extension and weight; Not looking for leanness or soft bass. I like transparency; complete and utter neutrality is not my priority as some gear seems to lean towards. Some tube sound is preferable but without a veil. Suggetions please? Thanks
foster_9

Showing 3 responses by fplanner2000

I had the VAC Standard LE first with the DNA-500 and that was the preamp I had in mind with my post. Sorry I wasn't a little more clear. It was also much better than "OK".... you should be very pleased if that's the route you choose.