Tube pre/SS amp to replace Plinius 8200 integrated

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating replacing my integrated with a tube preamp and SS amp. Can anyone make any recommendations? Looking for the typical warmth, harmonics, air, etc. for mostly jazz, classic rock and classic alternative. My particulars are listed under "system." Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to purchase used and keep the budget under $4k combined. After this, I figure I'll work on speakers. I say that because my wife likes the soliloquys more than the other options I considered (also listed under "system.") Thanks!
portugal11

Showing 1 response by portugal11

Thank you for your responses thus far. I'm probably not going to go the Vincent route. I'm not sure if I'm going to see marked improvement by replacing the plinius integrated with the vincent integrated. Moreover, I'm resolved to purchasing from brands that are predominant in the market. I took a chance with the Soliloquy's and, well, we all know what happened to them...

Regarding speakers first then working back towards the source, I'm well aware of that philosophy. I think the reverse holds true as well. Unfortunately, I have a wife that only views speakers as furniture and she's pleased with the veneer of the current speakers.

Regarding the Dynaudio's, I have repeatedly heard great things about pairing them with plinius gear. I'll have to audition them one day. Does anyone happen to know if that grey face place can be removed? Both my wife and I think that it's too post modern for our pottery barn tastes.

I'm liking the idea of a plinius amp with a tube pre. Maybe the ones listed above or an audio research?