Tube pre/SS amp to replace Plinius 8200 integrated

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating replacing my integrated with a tube preamp and SS amp. Can anyone make any recommendations? Looking for the typical warmth, harmonics, air, etc. for mostly jazz, classic rock and classic alternative. My particulars are listed under "system." Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to purchase used and keep the budget under $4k combined. After this, I figure I'll work on speakers. I say that because my wife likes the soliloquys more than the other options I considered (also listed under "system.") Thanks!
portugal11

Showing 1 response by pdreher

I've owned both the Soliloquy 6.2's and the Plinius 8200 MkII. Strongly suggest you upgrade your speakers first as they are undoubtedly your weakest link (IME). Suggest you try Dynaudio Contour S3.4's ($2,500 used)... would be a significant upgrade over the Soliloquy's and they'd be a decent match with the Plinius 8200 integrated... and they will respond favorably when you upgrade your amplification down the road.

After selling my Plinius integrated, I went with a Plinius SA-102 amp and a Aesthetix Calypso pre with good NOS tubes... both can be had for approx. $5,600 for the pairing.

Tmiddle's amp/pre suggestion is also solid advice and within your price range... but upgrade your speakers first!