Tube pre/SS amp to replace Plinius 8200 integrated

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating replacing my integrated with a tube preamp and SS amp. Can anyone make any recommendations? Looking for the typical warmth, harmonics, air, etc. for mostly jazz, classic rock and classic alternative. My particulars are listed under "system." Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to purchase used and keep the budget under $4k combined. After this, I figure I'll work on speakers. I say that because my wife likes the soliloquys more than the other options I considered (also listed under "system.") Thanks!
portugal11

Showing 1 response by 1graber2

old thread, but what the heck.

You can get a good BAT tubed pre for around $2k, and a used Simaudio/Bryston/Krell SS amp for another $2k used, for total of $4k. And these are 2013 prices!

I have been VERY happy with a BAT VK-300x SE that I have used for 5 years, a pre tube hybrid amp using 6H30 tubes and 150 watts of BAT with Six Pack, BAT Pack for more readily available amps.

But I want to go to separates too and keep the pre a tube and the amp a SS. My plans are for a BAT pre and a SS amp like Simaudio, maybe Bryston or Krell, as I am looking for SS with a bit of a bite. But I've never owned any Brsyton or Krell equipment.