Tube-pre and interconnect match for Krell FPB-300

After spending some time with my B&K Ref 30 and my Krell FPB-300, I feel like I may be missing some of the 2 channel material. I'm happy with the authority and control of the Krell so I thought I might upgrade the pre-amp. The equipment is also part of a home theater but I have other amplification if the experts on this site think I need to remove the Krell for a music-only rig. This is eventually going to be a total upgrade from source to speakers(as $ allows) so any recommendations would be appreciated for all system parts. I'm currently leaning toward used B&W Nautilus 801s/802s or similar for speakers(I can't afford any of this new!).

I'm particularly curious about how tube pre-amps, with which I have no experience, match with Krell amps and what interconnects would work well. I hear so much about how musical tubes are.
I would really appreciate comments from anyone who has had a fair amount of experience with Krell FPBs. I admit I have very little experience with all except my current equipment. Thanks so much in advance.
ldmarti

Showing 1 response by porschecab

I am running N801s with FPB-650MCs. I would not use another amp. The FPB amps match very well with Nautilus speakers.

If you end up going with N801s, you must realize AND accept that they need power to make them right. My suggestion, should power not be where you want to spend you money, find another speaker. That said, the Krell amps work well, (FPB series, older are NOT the same) but so would Mccormack DNA-2 Deluxe. I had nice result from Audio Research tubed monos at normal to slightly above normal listening levels, but the N801/N802 like juice, need power to make them sing, and also decent levels of volume to get the most out of them.

Bottom line, keep the Krell if going Nautilus.

Dan