Tube pre-amp used for around $1000?

Looking for a used pre-amp for a second system to go with a Kora Galaxy tube amp. Any suggestions? I've been thinking about:
Blue Circle BC21.1 (might cost a touch more than $1000, but intruiging, w/ Shallco?)
Kora Equinox (haven't seen one in a while)
Audible Illusions L-1 (or M3a, but don't need phono)
Adcom GFP-750 (clean, but sterile?)
VTL 2.5 (service issues?)
Sonic Frontiers SFl-1 sig, or spring for a Line 1 (I have a Line 3 in my main system with NOS tubes and SS amp and love it, but for the second system looking for a different sound - a touch warmer, euphonic, without sacrificing extension, clarity, detail, noise level, and soundstaging)
Compactness is a virtue (don't have alot of space in the office), I've been using a McCormack Micro Line Drive in passive mode and find that I need some gain). I don't need alot of inputs -- 2 at the most, and don't really need a remote as it will be within an arms reach of my chair.
Suggestions?
papertiger

Showing 1 response by poppyngogood9e1a

I'm not certain what you think the service issues are with VTLs 2.5, but with a very nice phono stage this is a clearly UNDER-RATED preamp! I've also heard the Rogue 66 and 99 preamps, and both are easily available line-stage or with phone in about that price range, and again, very under-rated. I think the Rogue is the best bet.