TUBE NOOB: WHAT BRAND

I am looking for a really unusual tube. In one of my previous posts I had a couple of audiogon members point out a few good sites and I was able to locate some for sale. My initial problem was not finding any, now I have too many to chose from.

The tube: 6CL8A/6CL8

Brands available: RCA, GE, Sylvania, Tung Sol..etc.. quite a few.

I know nothing about this other than I want the best one possible. I would like one that minimizes microphonics and that sounds like tube heaven, help me out. Thanks a million guys.
dfelkai

Showing 7 responses by riley804

It's good to ask questions, but sometimes one has to try things on their own without the help or input from others.
What are you guys talking about? Some general advice for someone who knows nothing about tubes would be helpful

This is what the forums are for....do some reading and then you would have a better understanding of what members are referring to. Why did you get into tube equipment if you know nothing about it then ?

I would like to benefit from other peoples experience in this hobby, instead of spinning my wheels needlessly.

So members of this forum with their experience do the homework for you so that you never fail . Sometimes failure is good. So what if you buy some tubes that you dont particular care for, turn around and resell them. Do you think that every piece of gear has always worked with every member here ?

Besides what do I do, buy 30 sets of tubes and spend 3 weeks trying them all. That is just foolish!

Who said anything about buying 30 sets of tubes ? You have to use a little common sense ....
I am tired of being berated about this

Cry a little more why dont you.

The "dickhead attitude" is what I got when I asked a simple question for tube advice.

All the members that have replied ( including me ) have given you suggestions, advice, whatever you want to call it, and its almost as if you dont like the answers that you are getting ?

What one member might like in his system may not work or sound right in yours, as there are to many variable to look at ( room size, equipment being used , music type , and the list goes on and on ). But as I have said before, trial and error is sometimes needed before you find what you like and dislike .

It only makes sense to ask an expert, so you don't have to torture yourself and wallet.

So, what stopped you from doing that in the first place ?

Now that we understand how a forum works, we can continue the discussion.

Thank you for your permission.

Well Riley, because tube equipment is incredible and I like how it sounds. Is that okay with you?

I have had tube equipment in the past and yes it is nice, but finding the perfect tube is not easy and sometimes cost can be a factor. My question as to why you had tube equipment, was just that.....a question.

No I should just buy all the tubes in the world and not ask for advice

That choice is yours, but just as one of the other members suggested , is that you buy a set of tubes, listen to them for a while, make notes and see if you can "maybe" improve on that sound . Sometimes it can be done, but not always. Maybe then you have to look at other pieces of the audio chain for improvement ?

Thanks Again for your advice Riley804, I think you have contributed more then you should to this post

And when did you become a moderator on this site ?

Dfelkai-

Like my replies or not, but it seems that some of the other members are pretty much saying the same thing that I am...

Dfelkai - "Will someone please do my research for me and tell me what to do?"

Which is what I said in the beginning, didnt I ? But I am the bad person for saying it according to you. Why have the internet if you arent going to use it for what it was intended for ????

Seems that you still have a lot to learn in this hobby, and maybe someday you will have a better understanding of things.
Dfelkai-

As I understood it, the internet was meant as a medium of exchange of information. What you are suggesting is that I stick my head in the sand and just buy them all without asking questions

Not suggesting you do that at all, you are the one saying that. I simply suggested that you do some research and to try things on your own first ( my first reply ).

Yes the question is general what tubes will give me the best sound. Perhaps a newbie needs to schooled on some details. All I was told is buy them all ans try them

The answer that the member gave probably wasnt meant to be taken serious....but obviously you did. So who's fault is that ?

Now I don't appreciate being misquoted. In the above posts you literally put words in my mouth.

And how did I do that....please explain.???

No you don't have my gear, but there is plenty of junk, scams to avoid, and details regarding NOS etc.. and someone with experience might be able to offer a newbie, kind of like that thing the internet was made for!

You are right, I dont have your gear, and yes there are things that one needs to look out for and the members on this site will gladly offer their opinions to help another member out, but for some reason, you think that some of us are against you and this is not the case.

You reply that I dont try and offer help, but yet if you go back to your thread here :

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1245534383

I believe that I sent you an email with a little bit of input that might have been useful, but did you take the time and reply ?
You probably dont have it now, but when you posted that thread about the cartridge ( see the link in my last reply ), I sent you a email....

You probably deleted it ( no big deal ), but to sit and comment that I wont offer help is not correct at all, when in fact I did then and offered now.

I think that there is the possibility that you are taking my replies the wrong way.....and if you go back and read my first reply, it says :

It's good to ask questions, but sometimes one has to try things on their own without the help or input from others

Which I was also adding to what the first member in the thread had said.

What one person likes in his system , another person wont.....there is no perfect amp, speaker, cable, tube etc....its all a matter of what sounds good in ones system.
Most of us that have been in the hobby and have tried tubes before already know about Andy at Vintage Tube Service.

This is what I am referring to when I say to do some research by using the internet.

Here is another tube site for you ( right now they are closed ):

https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm