Wondering if my tubes or my hearing’s going. Feeling my
system should sound better. Bought Vandersteen Quatros 2 months ago and believe I've got them dialed in fairly well. I include this because I don't have years of listening to them to compare back to. Have to turn my CJ Premier 16 pre to about 43 to get a decent amount of sound. These Quatros replaced Tannoy Kensingtons that only needed a volume setting of 32 for a decent amount of sound.
Pre: Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS
• Pwr: Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono Blocks
• Pwr Condtnr: Shunyata Hydra
• Speakers: Vandersteen Quatros
• Cabeling: Stealth PGS IC’s, Vandenhull Bi-wire Speaker wiring
• Sources: Conrad Johnson DV-2B CD Player, SOTA Star w/SME arm w/Benz
cart, Magnum Dynalab Tube Tun
• Music: Classic Rock, Easy listening, Female Jazz singers,
• Room: Big (25 X 30) w/cathedral ceiling. Harwood floors/ceiling
and big glass windows. Rugs and furniture
Replaced all unit's tubes 5 years ago and bought them all from
Conrad Johnson. Play the system about 10 hours a week so that would be about
2600 hours of play.
Think the tubes have seen their better days? My hearing? I'm 56...