Tube guy gets a B&K: tubes vs solid state

You folks probably already know all this, but maybe these observations will be helpful for some newbie... (tubey newbie?).

I've been looking to understand how to improve the sound of my tube system and decided to try a SS amp as a point of reference, and potentially as a permanent switch. Thanks to many here, the desirable choice seemed to be a McCormack DNA. But being unsure I decided to take a cheaper approach and bought a B&K ST-140 ($202 on ebay + $27 shipping), version 2, toroidal transformer. It is like new. After swapping back and forth with my Marantz 8B I have the following observations. Rest of system is stock CJ PV-5, ProAc One SCs, ordinary car audio speaker cable (next upgrade), all Kimber PBJ interconnects.

The issues I have with my system are a desire for tighter bass, more openness, less of a congested presentation. I got my system in 95 or so, and did some comparisons to SS then, but sometimes you have to relearn old lessons.

1) I am amazed at how pretty and smooth a sound the B&K has. It is a "lighter" sound, more even and polite or reserved, and the various instruments don't seem to be congesting together. For a $200, 20 year old amp, it is quite amazing.

2) The sound of tubes is different from the sound of solid state. It's difficult to overstate the significance of this. The tube sound is palpable and dimensional. I knew this before, and these have to be the most commonly used terms but it's true. But it's a bit stunning to hear it again.

3) I would never be happy with solid state because no matter how pretty, it does not have this tangible substance, palbability, or dimensionality. It is key to enjoyment of the sound. It is sonic sculpture versus sonic painting.

4) I expected the bass to be deeper, larger, and tighter with the B&K. At first blush I thought it was. But after several comparisons, it is none of these. It is stronger and...tighter doesn't seem like the right word but it is as tight with the 8B. More importantly it is more real, because of the palpability, and that makes it sound more accurate or defined. On recordings with fuzzy bass, though, I think the even, clear, laid-back presentation of the B&K renders the bass with more seeming definition whereas the 8B seems to be trying to make it full and tangible but having nothing to work with, it just puts forth a kinda warm and soft bassiness.

5) I now believe the comment I read here, that a SS amp with a tube preamp will not give the dimensionality and palpability of tubes. One needs a tube amp for this.

I no longer feel I need tighter bass; I see it differently and very much like the bass I have with the 8B. I do think I could use more openness, a bit better high end (PV-5s, I'm told here, have rolled-off highs), and a less congested sound when the band gets busy, which somehow seems to be linked to the palpability or substance of the sound. It's like the thick palpability is a bit too thick and things get congested together.

I'm not sure whether changes to the amp or preamp will solve those, but the experience with the B&K suggests the next move is the preamp. I'm trying to decide whether to pick up something less romantic/lush like an ARC or VTL, or to send my PV-5 off for upgrades, or buy a newer CJ. At this point not knowing which will be the more effective it's a coin toss unless a killer deal comes along. I'm getting more reluctant though to alter the nature of my PV-5. Since getting back into hifi I have never seen one for sale.

Any suggestions or thoughts on my next move would be most welcome.

Jim
river251

Showing 7 responses by river251

Ssglx, funny you should suggest that, I just ordered some helix plus last night, after a long pleasant conversation with Pierre. I happen to own a Scott integrated, and it was fascinating to hear what he does with them. Interesting chap to say the least.

Ssglx, what is the break in period? Longer than the 30 day trial period I bet, but surely I can see if there is a difference in 30 days.

Yes, I know there are better SS amps, for sure, but I would be hard pressed to think any of them have the tube dimensionality/palpability. Plus I have to be selective as it can get pricey to start buying components.

I agree about needing a better preamp. I think I need something in between an ARC, which I think would not be warm enough for my tastes with jazz guitar (what I listen to most, esp. Peter Bernstein) and voice, and CJ. Maybe a VTL or VAC or Manley. But I really am only going by what I read here unfortunately. (We should all have regional fests where we all bring an amp and a preamp and have listening sessions so we can see what sounds like what)

Jim
Swampwalker, Charles1dad, and Lloydelee21, I am beginning to think the same thing; the pre is the heart of things and what I should focus on. A new CJ is exactly what I need, does anybody know the next Powerball numbers? What do you all think about the Sonic Frontiers Line 1? There is one for sale and I did a bit of reading that suggests it is neutral. I think I need to try something neutral as a reference point. There are also an RM-5 and a Berning TF-10. Also a BAT vk-3ix just went for 1400 on ebay which is above my budget right now. I think I am going to just have to buy to try something, hard to decide which so I have been reading a lot on the preamps.

I have also been interested in trying the Lightspeed, but never see one for sale. Apparently there are plans, but as of yet I don't know where to buy a new one, need to go back and research that better. But for not much more could get one of the first three preamps I listed above.

I'm not quite clear on when a passive is a match; something to do with the voltage your source produces?

Ssglx, I got the Mapleshade on John's recommendation, I've read a lot of his posts and he seldom seems to jump up and down and stand on his head, so I figured he must give pretty level headed recommendations. I think bright and clear is exactly what the doctor ordered for my 8B (or McIntosh) and CJ system. Part of me still can't believe speaker wire can matter. Grannyring, I will go have a look at Monarchy, don't know about them. Vicdamone, will also check into the Medussa, not aware of it...isn't there a movie star named after your handle? ???

John, I just read the thread tonight when researching preamps where you were debating a BAT or a Sonic Frontiers pre. I think it was from 03. What amp and preamp are you using now?

Hifiharv, also funny you should mention the EL-84. My recent speaker shopping involved a lot of time at Arizona Hifi in Phoenix, listening to ProAcs through the Leben cs-300x integrated. I really like the sound. When they switched to the big Leben amp and pre, the sound was more full bodied and less light, but I can't forget how much I liked the ProAcs with the EL-84s. Then talking to Pierre at Mapleshade, the Scott they modify uses EL-84s. It got me to thinking. There is a cs-300x on agon for 2000, but that's outside my budget right now. -correction- it's gone. At 2000 it went fast. Also, I have been thinking about the RM-9, but this got me thinking about the RM-10. Only issue is, I am in a 11x12 (bedroom) office right now. My 8B is nominally 35wpc. I listen at just about the point where I start hearing distortion, about 10 or 11 on the CJ volume control. I am afraid when I get a new home in the next year or two, with a larger room, 35wpc may not be enough. Manley makes an 8 tube EL-84 amp. Or I guess I could get a new amp. But the EL-84 is in my radar now.

Lloydelee21, Unsound, Timlub, Pdspecl, I don't doubt that some seriously good SS could melt my butter. I heard a Classe/McIntosh/PS Audio SS system when I auditioned the B&W PM-1s and CM-9s at Soundquest in El Paso. I didn't miss any aspect of tubes, it just seemed amazingly good. Trouble is I'll never be able to afford the $15k just for the Classe. I still think that in the lower price range the tubes are going to give me a quality that might let me forget about the stuff I can't afford, or at least I hope so. Csontos may have just the ticket with vintage SS, though that would certainly complicate my search. I do think I need to look at a neutral pre right now. I am even thinking about SS, if there is a Classe, Pass, or Levinson pre in my range...would have to be an old one to be that cheap. I am a fan of vintage SS though. I miss my Pioneer SC-950 receiver and my brother has a beautiful looking and sounding Luxman receiver with the analog tuning knob.

Given the Mapleshades are on the way, I think my next step is a pre, either the Lightspeed if I can find/build one, or a neutral sounding pre in the 500-1000 range.

Thanks much all,
Jim
Counterbiz, thanks much for your post and welcome. I am rather new myself.

I would very much like to try biamping since I just obtained the B&K. However, I'm listening to ProAc monitors with a crossover of 3000 Hz. I would be putting the important stuff on the SS amp as seen here
http://www.listenhear.co.uk/general_acoustics.htm
I'll have to wait until I get bigger speakers. That sounds like a wonderful system. I have not heard the Kappas.

Jim
4hannons, I certainly believe you, as I am quite surprised at how smooth and sweet the ST-140 sounds. I see why people say it has a very tube-like sound. It really has a very nice balance across the spectrum, and a very clean but buttery musical presentation to me. When I got it I listened to it quite a while and enjoyed it.

I have been thinking about the Lightspeed attenuator. Did you buy yours or build it? Where did you get it? Can you say a bit more about how it sounds in your system?

Thanks,
Jim
I certainly will report on the Mapleshade cables.

I emailed with George about the Lightspeed and sent him specs for my Creek CD43 Mk II, Marantz 8B. Kind of surprising the price has remained the same. He said I'm OK. I want to compare those specs to the ones you just posted though 4hannons.
I am mainly curious what my system will sound like without the contribution of tube warmth/thickness of the CJ pre. Of course, then I'll have to try a better SS amp than the B&K, so see what it's like without the 8B. Then I'll be all SS....Oh no! heh.

Jim
Followup on the Mapleshade cables....

Nada. It's been a couple weeks at least so I checked and my card hasn't been billed. I called and got a nice lady, said it was in backorder, meaning they will ship my order when they get more cable made. I cancelled my order; can't have the charge hitting my account any random time.
Still plan to get some and will report when/if I do. Thanks...

Jim