Tube equipment use in high altitude?

This might seems like a strange question, but are tubes adversely affected by use in extremely high altitudes? The reason for my question is I will be moving to La Paz, Bolivia for two years which has an altitude of 12,000 ft. I do not currently own any tube equipment, but I was thinking about making the switch from solid-state. I know that because of the pressure differences, light bulbs don't last nearly as long. Do anybody have any personnal experience with this issue or a scientific explaination. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

labradford

Showing 2 responses by gs5556

Tubes were used in the radios of World War II aircraft at flight levels of 25 thousand feet or more - the same types now sold as NOS. Also, these were the VT or military spec tubes which were built for the altitudes, vibration and temperature extremes of unpressurized flight. I don't see a problem with good 'ol USA NOS tubes or even Russian military. Chinese tubes tubes, though, I wouldn't trust for many other reasons.
Did the tubed ICBM's sound more mellow than the solid state versions on detonation? (sorry)