Tube amps that kick ass?

I'd like to find a high powered tube amp that can deliver all the magic that tubes are known for AND that kicks butt. Solid, tight bass with good authority. Dynamic, quick, but handles the little information (micro) sweetly as well. A tube amp that will play rock and roll at realistic volumes – the way rock in roll was meant to be enjoyed - and still sound great.

Any ideas? 10K or under? preferably 5K or so

Thanks for all responses.
128x128keithmundy

Showing 3 responses by fplanner2000

I was so surprised by the performance of the VAC Phi 300.1 that I got a 2nd one! Has everything you are looking for and the VAC "sound" is one of the best in audio, IMO. Organic, musical, powerful yet true to the source. There are a number of very positive reviews here on Agon. Can be had used for under $10K if you can catch one - people just don't give them up very easily. They also make a Phi 200 amp that might work for your situation. Worth checking into.
Rfogel8 - Your friend is in for a real treat as the VACs break in. Catch them after they've broken in a while and you might be looking for a way to afford them yourself.... ;-) They really are pretty special.
Just got my VAC 450 monos back from Florida after having an on-rush circuit as well as auto-bias circuitry installed in each amp, plus a few more tweaks that remain confidential to VAC.

After only a day, I now have startlingly realistic sound, unlike anything I have heard anywhere. Tight, commanding bass, extended sweet highs, great imaging, PRAT, etc., etc. Best bass I've ever heard from a tube amp anywhere, as well as the legendary VAC mid-range, with imaging and musicality to spare. Definitely get my vote in the tube "kick-ass" category.