Tube amps and speaker ohms

In your opinion , do push pull amps work better with 8 ohms or 4 ohms. .I am under the impression the lower the ohms, the more power is demanded from the amp....Another question, are there low powered SET amps ,and high power SET amps?
I'm looking at a 40 watt 845 tube amp for my 8 ohm, 89 db speaker.. just cked the Thor has a 86 db W18 midwoofers(2 per cabinet) and a 88 db tweeter. Will an 845 amp rated 40 watts be able to drive the 86/88 db speaker? With authority, bass, mids, highs, in dynamic sound stage? Synergy? Or poor match?
bartokfan

Showing 3 responses by eagleman6722

I just checked the biasing on my TAD-60 as I just changed an output tube and had to make adjustments to get the balance right as it did not sound right after I changed the tubes. Turned out I had to readjust two out of three tubes. Then I checked the sound and it sounded nice and balanced again... So, I agree with TVAD that you have to check the bias either every six months as Paul Gryzbek recommends or when the music doesn't sound balanced... On the TAD-60, Paul supplies you with a $10 meter and gives you instructions on biasing the unit. On the 07s, the biasing meter is on the unit...

Eagleman
Divad, I am running a Tube Audio Design-60 with Vandersteen 2CE sigs (86DB I think. This amp runs 60 watts ultra and can be switched on the fly to triode (30 watts). This amp has plenty of juice for the vandys. I listen mostly to classic rock at room filling but, not loud levels and the vandys really sing. See Larryx7s post above. The TAD-60 can handle many EL-34 type tubes and is easy to bias. Check out the reviews on this amp. I haven't heard many other tube amps to compare but, I bet that it competes very well with amps in its $1300 class...

Eagleman
Ok, here is a question that may show my ignorance of this subject but, I will ask anyway. I have a TAD-60 AMP (60 WPC ultralinear).. It has 8 and 4 ohm terminals. I am running Vandersteen 2CE signatures which are rated at 7 ohms nominal and 4 ohms minimum. I am currently using the 8 ohm terminals in my set up. Would I be better off using the 4 ohm terminals? If so, then why. If not then why not.
Thanks,
Eagleman