Tube amplifier suggestion for 101 dB speakers

Hello All,

I've been using the Tyler Acoustics PD30s with Classé Sigma solid state preamp and amp combination.
These speakers have two 15" woofers and a horn tweeter, 4 ohm, sensitivity 101 dB.
The above combination is not the best, especially for complex rock music, the highs start to distort, they are harsh, just bad. Never had tube gears, but after reading a bit, these speakers apparently scream for tubes. Actually somebody brought over a hobbyist-made tube amp and yes, the speakers were tamed.
I'm willing to switch to a tube amp but prefer to keep the ss preamp.
Can anybody recommend a few good tube amp matches here, for a max of 3K new or used. Room is just a good medium size. I want something that I can keep for many years if possible and being somehow flexible to tube rolling.

Thanks.
128x128piramis

Showing 2 responses by wsrrsw

First post here but not my first Hifi rodeo. Check out the primaluna HP. It will come with EL34s. Roll those out and roll in KT88 or KT 120’s. I got from Upsacle audio. Ask to speak with Kevin. Before rolling tubes listen to the 34’s. 

I’m using the PrimLuna HP/w KT88’s to drive SonusFaber speakers. They need power. 

Yes, Primaluna HP has lots of video, demo, etc on the internet.
What I notice as a dilettante is that it uses 8 x EL34 and 6 x 12AU7 tubes from factory. Why is the high quantity of tubes, 14 compared to 4 + 4 in the Rogue ST-100, the latter being even more powerful with the same KT120s.

Not sure why all the tubes (4 amp tubes per channel)...I do know that’s its integrated (so no pre amp needed) built incredibly well (point to point wiring, etc.) and has a very good headphone output included. If I recall the way its built makes it not work as hard extending life of components.. It has a sub out too.

It is also a class A amp/pre amp and the mojo is tops. Output power isn’t the be all and end all...I think the more knowledgeable hifi gurus factor in bandwidth too. You can run KT120s or KT150s in the PL.

Putting on my dilettante’s extra large hat I think its as good or better than some top mono block systems I have heard. Yes it’s subjective but I’m not the only one thrilled with it. For the money nothing comes close. Oh course money and hifi upgraders are the preverbal rabbit hole. I have upgraded from Revel speakers but will stay with this integrated amp.

You may also find that a power conditioner and some good heavy cords will help your speakers too. See the rabbit yet?