Tube amplifier suggestion for 101 dB speakers

Hello All,

I've been using the Tyler Acoustics PD30s with Classé Sigma solid state preamp and amp combination.
These speakers have two 15" woofers and a horn tweeter, 4 ohm, sensitivity 101 dB.
The above combination is not the best, especially for complex rock music, the highs start to distort, they are harsh, just bad. Never had tube gears, but after reading a bit, these speakers apparently scream for tubes. Actually somebody brought over a hobbyist-made tube amp and yes, the speakers were tamed.
I'm willing to switch to a tube amp but prefer to keep the ss preamp.
Can anybody recommend a few good tube amp matches here, for a max of 3K new or used. Room is just a good medium size. I want something that I can keep for many years if possible and being somehow flexible to tube rolling.

Thanks.
128x128piramis

Showing 2 responses by sbank

With 101db speaker, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you buy a higher powered traditional push pull pentode amp without first trying out a SET, OTL or other design that prioritizes great sound over high power output. If the impedance doesn't allow for such, that's a different story. 
Posts above are a combo of good suggestions (e.g. Viva  or Dennis Had's SET amps) and some that seem like they are coming from those with lower efficiency dynamic speakers and are just telling you to buy what they know/like with those designs that have totally different needs than you do.
I have a ton of respect for Rogue , Music Reference and Quicksilver but for your situation it sounds like doing surgery with a machete instead of a scalpel. 
How about Atma-Sphere S30, SETs from Dehavilland like Aries 845s, even the inexpensive Jolida SETs if you can find one.
Perhaps someone can chime in regarding experience with 300Bs when dealing with a 4ohm load? That would help him narrow things down a bit. Cheers,
Spencer
You're on a good track. Even with SET amps, there are a number of different tube types which each have their own relative strengths. For example's sake (please don't flame my oversimplification here):
845 - a bit more powerful, good dynamics & bass slam for a SET type
300Bs - beloved midrange, magical vocals, acoustic guitars, cello, etc.
2A3 - great imaging, traditional warm tubey colorations
45 - lowest output, need highest efficiency speakers

Try researching articles like this to learn more on the differences:
https://hometheaterreview.com/whats-so-irresistible-about-a-single-ended-triode-set-amp/  Sorta simple, but it's a start. Cheers,
Spencer