Tube Amp Recommendations $1500

My last amp was a Prima Luna Prologue 5, and it was my first Tube amp, and I loved it! I ended up selling because I turned it on one day and it sparked, then smoked, and as a result, one channel played quieter and distorted. I didn't want to deal with it and needed some cash, so I sold it...

I am currently using a modified Acurus A-100 which is a great amp for the money I spent ($300) but it's time to start researching tube amps in the $1500 price range.

I'm looking for something that looks good, has more power than my Prima Luna 5, and has that charecteristic warm, lush, textured and detailed sound.

My current set-up is:
Pangea P.C.'s
Signal cable silver res. interconnects
Lightspeed Attenuator
Parasound Z-Dac
Wadia 170i
Ps Audio Quintet
Paradigm Sig. 2's V.3
4 gik 244's
11x13 room
Musical tastes: Rock, Electronic, female Vocalists, Classical, Jazz.
128x128b_limo

Showing 3 responses by b_limo

Thanks so much guys!

I will look into these tube amps mentioned. I'm sure there are some good recommendations in there.

Al, I do believe that stereophile review was of my speakers (Sig 2 V.3's); I look into that further to confirm. I wondered how these would pair with tubes but I thought the Prima Luna Prologue 5 pushed a variety of speakers well (jamo d830, quad 22l2, joseph audio rm7si and 25si) but maybe I was wrong...

This may have opened a whole new can of worms because I really like these speakers. I thought I could gain a little more extension in the highs, more of that organic life like sound I was experiencing with tubes, while keeping the more controlled bass of a solid state and gaining more headroom and higher volume than my current Acurus A100.

Maybe I should be looking at high power solid state amps that have a "tube like"' sound? CJ? McCormack? ...?

And since I have your attention, I'm open to criticism on my rig. Do you see other weak links or areas to possibly change? Thanks!
I did reference that Stereophile review that Al posted a link to and those are v.1's, not the v.3's like I have... I don't think there is a huge difference in their specs sensitivity wise but there could be.

Aren't there tube amps in the $1500 range that are stout enough to drive these speakers?

-Bruce
Thanks Al, Czarivey, and Bifwynne, I'll take your advice and stick with solid state for these speakers.

I'm glad I asked now.

Thanks to everyone else that replied too!