Tube Amp Around $1000

I am going to buy a tube amp for my system and am thinking of a TAD-60. I have Usher 520 speakers, a CAT SL1 MKII preamp and a Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player. I will be updating the speakers some time next year. Anyone have an opinion on the TAD-60 or other suggestions? I want to keep the price around $1000 new or used.
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal

Showing 2 responses by eagleman6722

Check out the TAD-60 reviews. I have one with TAD-150 and Vandersteen 2CE signatures. Rolled in some Tung Sol 6550 reissues and sound is amazing. No real house sound to speak of but, fast, robust, lots of air and great extention on the highs and lows. I had a DNA-1 by McCormack. It is no match for the TAD-60... My only change will be to Mod the Tad-150 to signature level and maybe try some KT-88 tubes on the TAD-60. I have no desire to change amps.
I think that it has some of both. With the stock tubes it has that airy midrange but, when I rolled in some Tung Sol reissues it not only had the airy midrange but, the bass was more powerful and the highs seemed more detailed and extended. The overall sound is balanced and non-tiring. I have not heard the CJ so I cannot comment on it.