TT upgrade advice?

Hello. I am looking for some advice about my current turntable. Right now I have a Pioneer PL-514 table with a Shure M97xe cart. I got it from a friend whose father has been storing it for many years. I took it apart, cleaned & lubed, set it all up & it sounds awesome. I'm officially hooked on vinyl.

Problem is though, I know vinyl can sound better. So my question is, if i only had $800-1000 to spend on a table/cart/arm, what would be ideal for that price range? Upgrade the cart & arm on my current table or start with a new one altogether?

The rest of my system is a Jolida 502B integrated amp, Jolida JD9 phono, & Klipsch RF52 speakers. Thanks for your input & advice!
geoffj85

Showing 1 response by davide256

Geoff85, vinyl is a recorded vibration and it takes good design and physics in a turtable to extract the dynamic range and bass out of a groove. Micro level chassis vibrations distort the vibration actually produced at the stylus, causing you a boring sound. Look to a rebuilt Thorens or a new Rega. Grado is a sure bet for an under $200MM choice, just don't put one on a light weight tonearm as their suspension is stiffer than a Shure. Above $300 for a cartridge high output MC's beckon with siren tones and more forgiving surface noise playback.