TT/ cartridge recommendations $1000

I recently bought a Rogue 99/88 preamp/amp combo and Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rod speakers and want to enjoy my old vinyl again. Can I get a new TT/cartridge combo that will work well with this combo for about $1000 or less ? Thanks for your recommendations.
bigo

Showing 9 responses by sedond

leafs, yer analog rig will compete succesfully w/the best redbook cd rigs out there, at *any* price.

bigo, *definitely* go used, yer ears will thank ya for it! ;~)

doug s.

if yure patient, ewe can find an older oracle w/a decent arm, that whencoupled w/a decent cartridge like an ortofon mc25-fl, will still be in the $1k ball park. and, ewe can upgrade it to latest specs as budget allows. & ewe can keep an eye out for a low-hrs used spendy cartridge. or, if ya prefer a vpi mk-iv, or a wacuum sota or a well-tempered, or ??? i tink someting like this will be yer best sonic bang-for-buck.

doug s.

sorry, psychic - no way i could drop $1k on a gnu 'table, when so-much-better sound can be had w/a used 'table. and sure, a 1200 may be cool looking & chick-friendly, but have ya seen an oracle lately? ;~)

regards, doug s.

hi psychic,

belt drive is an *adwantage*, imho... prior to getting my oracle, i *almost* bit at a nakamichi dragon - prolly wooda done it if it were belt drive insted of direct-drive... :>) re: the endless quest for sound, i'm also done... at least in the turntable dept... ;~)

re: setting up systems w/used components, no, i *don't* get yer point of view. only my subwoofer system is comprised of components bought gnu, cuz i tink they're a bargain, even when compared w/the competition at used prices. patience *does* pay off - what yure looking foe *will* turn up, sooner rather than later. while i doubt yude *ever* get an oracle for $20, there *is* one f/s rite now on a-gon, a mk-lll, w/a linn itok arm, asking price is $1450, been here for 16 daze now... a mk-l, like the one i got, w/a lesser arm, is *not* at all uncommon for $1k. also, a couple linn sondeks, vpi's, a reddy-to-go rega 25 w/dynawector cartridge, & a bunch of others for $1k or less.

i can understand the feeling ewe have for that 1200; cool - i have the same affection for my oracle. the fact that it totally smoked my way-more-than-decent highly-modded cj walker 'table that it replaced was icing on the cake - i bought it for its looks! ;~)

regards, doug *cheap* sedon

hi musicdoc,

my oracle cost me $850 w/a grace 727 tonearm & some decent mm cartridge i don't even remember, cuz i told the dealer to keep it. 'course, i spent money on it to have it updated to to mk-v specs (everyting except the power supply), so, the final cost (including shipping & a gnu box purchased from oracle) was $1250. excellent analog rigs *can* be found for around $1k...

regards, doug s.

bigo, this sounds like a good deal. but, for me personally, if i were looking for a good used analog set-up, i'd be more inclined to look for a better 'table, w/a less-good cartridge, & upgrade the cartridge at a later date. i.e., perhaps try to find a vpi mk-iv w/a retail-price cartridge of ~$200, instead of the jr. w/a cartridge that retails for $750 like the glider... but, as musicdoc states, the vpi jr *is* upgradable...

doug s.

swamp, yure rite about that. back in ~'77, i took my ol' dual 1229 to the local ann-arbor stereo-shop to trade in on a *real* belt-drive 'table. 'couple hours later, i came home w/the dual, & a $100 m/m ortofon cartridge (big money for a cartridge, in those daze, especially for a college-student). the improvement over my industry-standard shure m91ed was truly amazing.

today, tho, especially if buying used (it's kinda *iffy* buying a used cartridge), i tink i'd make my choice as stated above. my $225 (purchased gnu) ortofon mc25-fl, really is a nice cartridge. as i've mentioned elswhere on these threads, i have a symphonic-line re-tipped lyra clavis that's yet to see playing-time, cuz i'm content w/the ortofon. 'course, i may be really blown away by the improvements when i get around to hooking it up... ;~)

regards, doug s.

bigo, years ago (1977?!?), i spent $100 on an ortofon in lieu of getting a gnu 'table to replace the 1229. it *did* make a big difference... a gnu cartridge may tide ewe over until that great deal on a used 'table comes along...

gregm, i sure *hope* that s-line clavis blows me away! ;~) and, pink triangles are also excellent, don't tink they've been mentioned either. the mapleknoll 'tables, while a pita w/their air-bearing arm/platters, are also giant-killers.

psychicanimal, nuttin' more conwenient and reliable than a one-switch on-off button, imho. the oracle's awreddy seen 20+ years w/o a glitch - no reason it won't go 20 more years! :>) btw, dint ya do a bunch of upgrades to yer technics?

sylmar-tommy, this one's fer ewe: ;~)

doug s.

ps - psychic, wpfw in dc, does a "latin-flavor" show m-f 9-10; all cuban last nite! my onix tuna w/soap power supply & aps roof-mount antenna will smoke that 1200 of yers! ;~)

congrats bigo, i tink yule be in winyl bliss! ;~) and, if the upgrade bug bites again, the vpi jr has a path to lead ya! that arm's wiring can be upgraded as well.

happy listening, doug s.