Trying to Help My Nephew With His First Venture Into High End Audio

Would appreciate some advice on how to proceed.

I am "gifting" my Nephew several components and a set of speakers, from my 2nd system. Most of this stuff is from 1995, but works well and still sounds very good. He listens to mostly Rock music on Vinyl.

Here is the base system we are starting with (digital only, no Vinyl):
Totem Model 1 Speakers (4Ohm and 98db)Meitner MTR-101 (MUSE-TEX) Mono Amps (100W into 8 Ohms, 200W into 4 Ohms)
Rotel Solid State Preamp, RC-970BX (No phono stage)
Marantz CD Player (CD-63SE)Opening price point interconnects and a set speaker cables
I would like to keep him focused on "separate components" versus an integrated option. I believe this will help him to learn about how each part of the system contributes to the sound, and if he chooses to change something, he can "perhaps" upgrade 1 component without changing the entire system.

Also, he is a bit hesitant about tubes. However, I would like to introduce tubes somewhere into the system (preamp or outboard phono perhaps) so he can learn about the benefits and shortcomings of tubes in Vinyl playback.
As you can see from the system I am gifting him, he will still need to buy:
A turntable/arm/cartridge.Either a tube preamp with phono section (if replacing the Rotel) or an outboard tube phono stage (if keeping the Rotel).
Also a SUT depending on what direction you suggest.

He has $5,000 to spend.

128x128labpro
I thought Fremer’s review of the Hagerman Trumpet was pretty tough. Basically it’s rolled off, lacking detail and colored with a warm glow! It would not be to my taste. Each to their own!
I agree with no romance. My thinking is that the rest of this solid state system is cold sounding, so some warmth is welcomed. 

Ill set the system up with with what I own, plus this little phono. We can select a cartridge that compliments the sound.

My Nephew is 33.
Folks,

I am now looking at a SOTA Comet V which comes with the RB330 tonearm from Rega.

Tomic601 has some experience with SOTA.

Which cartridge would you suggest? 

SOTA is promoting a Dynavector 10X5, but I just read a review that did not like the 10X5 with the RB330 tonearm.

Someone mentioned Soumdsmith......only have about $750 to spend on a cartridge. 

Thanks for cartridge recommendations. 
Your nephew is young, why don’t you advice him something modern instead of a belt drive Sota turntable for pensioners? :)

Technics SL1200GR (or G) is much better choice for 33 y.o. guy. Almost any MM or MI carts are fine for Technics magnesium tonearm with VTA on the fly and detachable headshell. Audio-Technica, Grado, Soundsmith, Garrott … whatever if you want new.