true bookshelf speaker

There seems to be a lot of bookshelf sized speakers which all seem to provide far better performance as a stand mount .
What mid -high end speakers provide the imaging openess etc on a bookshelf ?
Or is it a matter of compromise or increasing the WAF by having speakers on a stand imposing in the room?
valverocks
>There seems to be a lot of bookshelf sized speakers which all seem to provide far better performance as a stand mount

>What mid -high end speakers provide the imaging openess etc on a bookshelf ?

None, the problem being that even mid range wavelengths are acoustically large compared to the baffle dimensions so they go around the speaker, bounce off the wall, and arrive at your ears soon enough to be confused with the direct sound.

There are exactly two reasonable speaker placements:

1. A reasonable distance from the wall behind them. The greater of 4' and half the distance to the listener is probably a good start pushing the reflections off the front wall out 7ms and making them 6dB down from the direct sound. 3' isn't as good, 5' is better.

2. In the surface. There's no separate reflection from the direct sound to confuse with it. There's no diffraction offf the speaker baffle. In-wall speakers have the potential for superior sound in all areas except sound stage depth which seems to require some reflections to come from behind the speakers.

A wider speaker which tapers towards the wall built for on-wall placement would fit category #2.

If you're stuck with the placement, speakers not designed to go there are going to give your singers chest colds when the reflections add in-phase to the direct sound.

Your best bet is to pick speakers designed for the placement. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because you can pickup 3-5dB more efficiency, output at a given distortion level, and head room. Jim Salk (salksound.com) sells his HTS MTM and MT configurations with cross-over options for on-wall and in-wall use. Revel has some speakers with a boundary comepsnation switches. It's rare.

Next best would be to deal with the problem using electronics. A shelving high-pass filter as found on pro-sound parametric equalizers will do the trick. Home theater preamps are starting to incorporate "Audyssey" which is self-calibrating using a microphone. One Audiophile room correction solution would be the TacT RCS system. It would be better to use appropriate speakers though, because ones built for stand mounted use are throwing away amplifier output so they can pad the higher frequencies down to match the lower ones with wave lengths long enough to wrap around the baffles.

As long as you have enough clearance to avoid aerodynamic problems, moving the port from the back to the front or eliminating it isn't going to do a anything for you.
>Or is it a matter of compromise or increasing the WAF by having speakers on a stand imposing in the room?

If you're looking for WAF, Triad sells in-wall versions of most of their speakers. Everything they do is made to order and they can provide grills that match your decor/wall color.
I have an ad running now for Soliloquy Sat-5's. No ports and really solid, heavy boxes make them great for bookshelves. If you ever decide to put them on stands, they image nicely and look great too.
You need sonic hollography.
Find a good tube amp and invest in top notch 5751s as inputs and 6SN7 Jan CHS 6SN7W metal base tubes. The speaker will try to sound flat but the amp will break their will with magnificant tubes. You can get real chrome domes if the aforementioned Ws are out of reach. You can buy OEM labled Chrome domes they are close but not as good as the "W" s etc, but are a true chrome dome 6SN7GT which 'out images' the rest.
The other option is to tell your sweetest that she won't die if good speakers are present. Some of the people she wants to impress may well find themselves admiring them.
I picked 4 1940s yes 40s 6SN7gts for $5 a pop labeled motorola etc. two matching pairs. I also snarfed 1948 GTs with a world record of chrome flashing both Sylvania marked 1948 for 21 bucks a pair.
5751s you have to get by chance from a friend or dependable dealer. I have a number but not a ton for spares, good ones asre precious. Try your luck on ebay although they are too much money some are fairly priced OK variants that give you the idea. The JAN tubes circa 1975 from Sylvania not the most halographic tube that some of the vaunted tubes are. I know I have both.
On a different stroke the 50s 60s and 70s Heerlen 7136s a 12au7 from Amperex only for special apps are expensive but about as good as a small input tube that exists, never mind the label HP. Beckman etc ordered them for there durability and liniear behavior. They work in audio like nothing else. Your speakers will come to life with decent output tubes not the cheapest you can find.
There is acompany that was selling the ultimate monitor a year or two aga If they exist and oprices are normal not stupid sill then they sounded like a choice.
I have two powered pairs I never use. One is tubed.