Trouble balancing SME 3009 series II tonearm

Hi,

I have a fully restored Thorens TD-124 with an SME 3009 series II tonearm. I just tried to mount my Grado Master Reference One cart onto it, but both my Shure analog scale and my digital scale both say the tracking force is too heavy and off the scale. I just bought a brand new Ortofon LH-2000 aluminum head shell. It’s considered light weight. I have moved the Ryder weight and the large weight on the back end of the arm all the way back to try and lighten the load. Nothing is working. This cart works great on my VPI Classic 1. And it’s not very heavy compared to others that people have successfully managed to mount on this arm. What am I doing wrong?  Please help!  Thank you!
moogerfooger
OP I use the same setup. I also use the 3012 on another 124 I have.

Make sure everything is correct from the rebuild (including the tonearm)

Get the right counterweight, it is as simple as that.. There is more than one setup. I've seen a few mods on SMEs, nothing is carved in stone..

Add the weight you need on the counter weight and weigh it.. Look for the combo of weights that work..

BTW the CW doesn't have to be pretty to work, just stable and won't move unless you want it to move..

Regards..
Ortofon LH-2000 weight 15.5g and the detachable SME head shell come with 3009II weight 6.4g, that could be why you can't balance the arm, A heavier counter weight or lighter head shell may solve the problem.