TRL ST225 - Goodness anyone else own this amp

I will soon be writing a review on this amp and wonder if any fellow Agoners own this gem. If so, please let us hear your comments on it. I am nothing short of amazed by it. I had to "downsize" and sold a tube monobloc amp and tubed preamp combo costing over $15,000 new. Both pieces were fine sounding and well regarded.

I ended up trading a set of speakers for a TRL ST225 integrated amp. I had never heard of this amp before and was not aware of Paul's work.

All I will say for now is this integrated amp bested my previous set-up and is the finest sound my speakers and room have provided.

I am a tube guy folks and this SS amp is still the finest amp I have ever heard. I put $5000 in the bank and have better sounding music. Now that is exciting!!!

They cost some $5500 new and mine was purchased/traded as used. It had just been updated by Paul and came direct to me once the upgrade was finished.

Happy in MN

Bill
128x128grannyring
Ecruz,

This is the very same experience I am having. Nice short review! The more time you spend with it the more amazed you will be.

Buckle up!

Bill
Has anyone heard or compared the TRL 225 integrated vs. the stereo or mono version with
a tubed preamp ?

From what I reading about, they seem as good or better sounding than the best stuff out there (no wars please) Dartzeel, Spectron, NuForce etc.

Currently running a slightly modded Audio Horizon TP 2.0 preamp and would like to keep it in the chain.
I have not done the comparison, but did use my TRL D-225 with both a Cary SLP-98 and Joule Electra LA-100 MkIII and can say that the solid state amp/tube preamp combination worked extremely well in my system.

From what I have read about the AH TP 2.0 the combination with a D-225 would be very interesting to hear.
I did try my integrated with a fully upgraded and loaded AH 2.1 with Joseph's best tubes. I loved that preamp!

This is hard for me to say as I loved that preamp so much, but the TRL integraded was much better without the AH preamp. Now, I dont have a remote and now have two volume knobs so that may be a problem for some. The music was just so damn good I don't care about remotes anymore.

I just did not believe an integraded or even separates could best the AH pre and all other amps I have ever mated with it by an audio mile. This TRL did to be sure.

Bill
Rx8man,

I just recently purchased the TRL M225 mono blocks and with only 100 hours on them they are the best amps I have ever heard. I owned the Nuforce and the TRL's are in another league. I have not heard the ST225 so I can't compare the two but I would assume the sound would be quite simular. I am looking at possibly the TRL Dude preamp down the road.
In another league, can you describe the difference(s) ?

Bob, if you want to email each other off-line to prevent any flame wars from the aforementioned amps, please do, I saw way too many threads go to shit when trying to grasp comparisons or sonic traits from other companies.
The preamp section of my ST225 is quite similiar to the Dude as I understand it.

The whole wanting or liking a tube preamp thing just goes out the window with TRL's latest SS gear. It becomes a non-issue as this amp sounds like music not tubes or SS - just great music. Always composed, in control, no part of the sound spectrum out of balance, effortless power with slam and delicacy at the same time.

It really must be heard or experienced in ones system to be honest. Words do a poor job here.

Bill
I stand corrected as the preamp section in my ST225 int amp is passive with a very high quality volume control.

I will also be purchasing a Dude as soon as I can afford one, but for now I love my TRL int amp. The amp section in my int amp is exactly the same as the sole amplifier by TRL.

Bill
Grannyring-

Your words are the exact ones I used today in an email to a friend to describe the D225, "effortless, composed", I thru in "balanced" and the fact that it never sounds strained or over-driven. I guess that's the same as composed. : )

I love it! My amp search has ended!
Rx8man,

I should first say that I really like the Nuforce amps and was very satisfied with them. Bill says it better than I can in that it does not sound like tubes or SS just great music. When you hear live music in most situations it does not sound like any stereo system and the TRL mono blocks sound more like live music than any amps I have heard. I hope this somewhat explains what I meant by saying another league. I may not be able to write exactly what I hear but from the first note I knew the TRL's was very special. One more example when I first asked my wife to listen to a cut from Alision Krause she stayed thru the entire CD and we then pulled out numerous other CD's. Now my wife does like to listen to music but she has never sat in front of my system and listened to more than one cut. She basicly said your system just sound great, like real music.

Perrew - no pictures, nothing fancy looking just a plain black box.
Does anyone know if anyone will have a TRL amp set up at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest? I've always wanted to hear it.
Well said, Guys, ... it just sounds like music.

Chaz 801: Where are you located? If you live in Eastern Washington, you can hear mine.

Or maybe one of the TRL amplifier owners that live closer to you cab help out?
Thanks Jes

Thats the problem is that Im in Salt Lake City. It would be great if someone in my area owns this amp. I asked because i plan to be at RMAF again this year.